06 January 2009

not so little black dress

I am looking for a little motivation to keep me focused on what I want out of the year, and I tell ya, THIS photo does it for me. I am the last person in the book of Vain, but DAMN, I am smokin' hot here. I bought this dress to replace one I had gotten my freshman year of college. I had pledged a sorority and we needed a black dress, so I went home the weekend before, and my aunt was visiting. She heard me talking to mom about the dress and then she handed me a hundred dollar bill and said go get your fancy black dress. So I did...I think the total was $98 with tax....and my mom was PISSED I had spent the whole thing! My aunt hadn't said she wanted change, ya know?? So, I wore that dress maybe once a year through college - a formal here and there...a nice dinner or something. 12 years later, I am still wearing it, but I got invited to this fancy party (the infamous CV PROM) and my mom talked me into getting a NEW black dress. She said the old one had amortized out to less than $10 a year, so I could bite the bullet and get a new one....so I did. And here I am on the first night. Didn't look so smokin' 8 hours later, in fact, bedraggled and sh*tfaced would be more appropriate descriptors.

The next year, I got a job running a theatre in Texas, and got to wear both black velvet dresses many many times on opening nights...and I even bought a PINK suit to alternate with the black...

AND, none of them fit right now...not that I have any where to wear something this nice...But this is my motivation for the year. Not only do I want to fit in this black dress, I want somewhere to go in it!!! I think that is a reasonable goal, don't you? Michelle, you will be so proud of me...I did a 5K on the treadmill last night....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! This picture looks like the time we went to the CV Prom. If it isn't, then you looked gorgeous then, too.

Maria

That Janie Girl said...

It's a beautiful dress!

Michelle said...

WOOHOO on the 5K!!! That is freaking awesome girlie!!! I am proud of you for sure!!! I hope you didn't wear the black dress with heals while running your 5K!!!!

Good going!!! Let me know about when you are getting to NYC!!!

Diane said...

OK, you are smokin' in that dress!! I'm jealous... I don't think I've ever looked that good in a picture. But I'm totally with you... I WANT the 'little black dress' and the place to wear it. Can I use your picture for motivation? ;)

Did this comment make me sound gay? Oh well ;)

King of New York Hacks said...

The King would surely be the one to pick you up in that dress should you be in NYC !!! Sending you honks for that treamill running, after the holidays I;m afraid to ty some clothes on !!

Fragrant Liar said...

Every woman must have that one little black dress in her closet -- just in case. You got lucky with two. Or maybe you got lucky because of the two??? ;)

Happy new year.

KJ
http://fragrantliar.blogspot.com

RB said...

I used to work in theater on Broadway in NYC, I always felt I didn't get paid enough to keep buying new opening night outfits. Good luck with your goals..5K is awesome!

Irish Gumbo said...

....Huh? Uh, were you saying something? Ummm, I sort of got lost after the "smokin' hot" remark and I was looking at the...looking at the...Oh PICTURE is the word I was....looking...picture...little black dress...What was I saying? Jeez, I'm all distracted now...I think...Wait, did you say something? ;)

JIMSIGHT said...

Hey this is a great rerun...wink

Hope all is well, almost ready to rejoin the human race....love the dress just as much this time as last...

SSP said...

thanks Janie and MJ - if i could zip it up, i would run in it! (I will be in NYC 1/16)

Diane, you can use the photo...I currently have one of that 40 year old woman swimmer from the olympics on my fridge with my head pasted over hers...and you don't sound gay at all...no man ever says things like that to me...except, of course, the King, Jim and IG...and yes this is a rerun, but I needed it more to the top so I could see the photo...plus I wanted some love.....so THANKS everyone....

and what theatre RB?? I have been in them allll - would love to direct in one!!

Stu Pidasso said...

My first visit here. And I hope you don't find that creepy. I like the post and aspirations for this year. I too would like to drop some weight. Good luck and keep up the running, you'll fit that dress sooner than you realize.

Cheers and GB, Stewey

SSP said...

welcome stu - not creepy, as long as you aren't using my photo for...er...inspiration...LOL....Heck, I have 10 readers....Braja and IG and Janie and Diane have multiple dozens!!!!!

what does GB mean? Go broncos? I think they are out of it