08 January 2009

It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw, I've gone to look for America

I love that Simon and Garfunkle song, don't you, and yeah, OK, I didn't really hitchhike, and it didn't take me 4 days to get here, thanks to Crapinental and my sister's Prius, but here I am in Saginaw, MI. I haven't found any poor hard working Saginaw fisherman, so perhaps I will have to head to Alaska??

Kidding...Lefty Frizzell for President....

Anyway, I am here for a conference. It is cold and dreary and the roads are icy, but I am her with my sister and we aren't arguing or fighting, though there was the scrunchy incident:

SSP: I am gonna comb my hair
SWWM (Sometimes Wicked Witch of Michigan): Good (muttering something else under her breath which I ignore)
I put my lavender velvet scrunchy (screw you, I like scrunchies - I don't care what Vogue magazine says about them), in my hair and a few minutes later she comes up to me:
SWWM: Here is your grey scrunchy
SSP: I am using the purple one
SWWM (walking away): the purple one would look better

I have learned to ignore these snipes. A little later, I was rushing to get through all my email so I could go to the open house, and have a DRINK, which I desperately needed, and once again, she mentions again how the grey one would look better. I think I sent a SCREW YOU email to my boss, by mistake.....I love my sister, but no one knows how to get a rise out of me like her....bless her heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR34iQ1All8
I loved a girl in Saginaw, Michigan.
The daughter of a wealthy, wealthy man.
But he called me: "That son of a Saginaw fisherman."
And not good enough to claim his daughter's hand.

Now I'm up here in Alaska looking around for gold.
Like a crazy fool I'm a digging in this frozen ground, so cold.
But with each new day I pray I'll strike it rich and then,
I'll go back home and claim my love in Saginaw, Michigan.

I wrote my love in Saginaw, Michigan.
I said: "Honey, I'm a coming home, please wait for me.
"And you can tell your dad, I'm coming back a richer man
"I've hit the biggest strike in Klondyke history."

Her dad met me in Saginaw, Michigan.
He gave me a great big party with champagne.
Then he said: "Son, you're wise, young ambitious man.
"Will you sell your father-in-law your Klondyke claim?"

Now he's up there in Alaska digging in the cold, cold ground.
The greedy fool is a looking for the gold I never found.
It serves him right and no-one here is missing him.
Least of all the newly-weds of Saginaw, Michigan.

We're the happiest man and wife in Saginaw, Michigan.
He's ashamed to show his face in Saginaw, Michigan.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah sisters!!!

They get like that sometimes!!! Well, not sometimes...all the time!

My sister who i call sista S can be that way! Except with me its more direct like Yo you need a haircut!!

Happy Friday in Michigan girlie!!!

Irish Gumbo said...

I bet you could have gotten there really fast if you had worn that little black dress, lots easier to bum rides that way ;)

Or maybe you could drift down south to New Orleans, and work for a while on a fishin' boat, right outside of Delacroix...

Diane said...

I don't have a sister but if I did, she would make comments like that. I'm sure of it.

Drive safely on those icy roads! And be careful when you're hitching... there are a lot of crazies out there! ;)

RB said...

I love that song too..I had no idea where Saginaw was, though.

KMcJoseph said...

Whenever my mom visits I catch her talking about me under her breath. But she'll do it in the same room that I am already in. She's like a little kid. I've taken to looking right at her and saying, "WHAT?"

Anonymous said...

OK -- so I can totally relate to you on so many levels... sometimes snarky sister -- check! (although she's in heaven now - i'm sure she's still snarky)

and Saginaw, MI... although I am living near Pittsburgh now - yeah I was born in Bay City - a mere 20 minutes away.

My first time here and I got a warm fuzzy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SSP said...

@Michelle - i love my sissy, which is kinda like Sist E :-) and she is always direct.....

@IG you and that dress....i woulda froze my bum had a worn it...

@Diane - I think sisters are put on this earth to keep us in line... and vice versa of course

@RB apparently there is more than one!!! Who knew?

@KMc yeah...juuust under the breath, knowing fully well you can ALMOST hear her...

@Carla welcome to my fray! sorry about your sissy....don't know what i would do without my snarky, moody, wonderful sister....

Anonymous said...

Ok here it from SWWG (whatever witch) in michigan, the sister,,,.
Here is the story how the scruncy took us down! SSP was advised from me, her younger much less educated sister, however a tad more fashionable I might add, to wear the gray hair tie rather than the bright purple velvet scrunchy. She didnt. That is ok. Whatever...
SSP likes to travel yet says her trips are stressful. I say to that , "WHY?" She says, "Wherever I go there are kids."
And the point is what??? That she might have to do their laundry? cook their meals? pack their lunches? wake up at 6 30 to see them off? huh huh huh
I love you SSp,, come back!