01 January 2009

Holiday? What stinkin' holiday??

So, today is my daddy's birthday, my best friend's mom's birthday, my cousin's birthday, not to mention NEW YEARS DAY...and what am I doing? I am working. I have the extraordinary delight of being able to work from home in AZ, (instead of in the NYC office), most of the year. Unfortunately, the "busy" time for my company happens to overlap ever so inconveniently with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Valentine's Day, not to mention no fewer than 8 relative's birthdays and several minor bank holidays as well.
So while everyone else stresses over Christmas shopping and holiday eating and new year's resolutions, I strain to get all this paperwork and scheduling done! It all comes in between September and November, and has to be turned around before Christmas. The big shin dig that I organize every year takes place in New York, Chicago and Las Vegas, and it starts in 3 weeks, so now that all these piles are processed and scheduled and mailed out (here is a pile readyy to go to the mail box - the mail man hates me - I have to visit several boxes every time I do a drop off!), So, now it all gets put in the computer by hand, my hand, and then I have to send emails to every one of these people, 25% of whom are incapable of printing their email addresses clearly. 25% will bounce 'cuz I can't read the crappy handwriting!! The form says "please make sure you clearly indicate your email address. Is that a O or a 0...is it a 5 or an S." That doesn't seem to help. I am not old and jaded, but I have come to realize that college seniors are really really incapable of reading and following instructions. It is that generational thing, I guess. The millenials expect all the information in a couple of bullet points. Sadly, life does not come with bullet points, does it, and I guess I either have to lower my expectations (HA), or maybe get this whole thing computerized....hmmmmmmm.

I even had to work in the hotel the night me and my sister drove down to see our Brother!! Can you believe this "work station?" The chair is too low! All Hamptons and Hiltons are like this, I am sad to say!!! Why list it as an amenity when it is clearly useless. It is more comfortable to sit in bed with the hot battery in my lap!
Anyway, while the rest of you are enjoying your 4 day weekend, I am scrambling to get these all entered before Monday, so I can finish my Christmas shopping (heh heh), cuz that is when the phone will start to ring in earnest (
oh, people called today wanting to know where their stuff was. I contemplated telling them I threw up on it last night, but this IS a business, even if I DO do it in my pajamas, I suppose. I pay tax on my income, so that makes it business, right?). I hit the road next week for 6 weeks...my last free weekend until mid March, and I will be sitting here at the computer....WORKING...and possibly blogging about it....who knows.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Ugh. I feel for you. But yes, working in your PJs is a bit of a trade-off (I work from home, too)... and, like me, you still have time for long posts ;). Good luck getting it all done!!! I'm sending good, motivational thoughts your way. If you could send them back, though, I'd appreciate it, as I've got a crapload of stuff to finish before Monday. Thanks much!

SSP said...

I type quicker than I think sometimes....wish I could data entry as quickly as I can do free form spewing, like I do here, but dammitall, my boss insists on accuracy...sunovabeeotch....anyway, thanks for the good thoughts and I am sending you a triple espresso shot of extra strength starbucks, with a Monster chaser, so you can do your work too!!!

Laurie said...

Sounds like a lot of error code:
(one,d,ten,t) or 1d10t. Hee hee! Are you still coming south in March?