I arrived, on the runway and not in the river, on Friday afternoon - gorgeous clear day, with a high of 15 I think they said. I took the bus in from Newark, which is the way to go - you don't have to schlepp your suitcases up and down escalators, on and off trains - nope, you pay your fare inside the airport, walk out to the bus, where the driver takes your stuff, you get on and watch
the city get closer and closer. The cell signal strength was actually stronger IN the Lincoln Tunnel than it was anywhere else above ground!I walked through Times Square to my office, and saw my boss and our associate, Jason, then kinda moved in....I have a little plastic drawer thingee
I keep my stuff in, and I take over a little corner of one office, and a desk in another...It ain't home, but it'll do for the next couple of weeks.I did some catch up work for about an hour , while firetrucks and ambulances screeched by outside - they seemed to be right outside, but this IS Times Square so it isn't so odd to hear that ALL the time. Then the cleaning lady came in - she has been cleaning our office since I began working for the company 11 1/2 years ago, so it was nice to see her. She told me there was a fire in the comedy club next door, ohhh, I thought, some comedien was "on fire," I guess...then she got paged to come down to the lobby so she said bye. I walked out to the outer office...and could hear the fire alarm that was inaudible in the other office, so I look in the hall - filled with SMOKE!!! So I turn off my computer and grab some stuff for the night and head out to the stairs. 3 flights down, I remembered I forgot my hotel information so I had to go back up, and now I know how people die from smoke inhalation - I was PUFFING - there was just NO oxygen at all...so I get my papers, and run back down...The lobby is full of the most gorgeous fire men - no city has firemen like NYFD, I tell YOU what!! Of course, I can't stand and gawk, so I move out to the street, where there are at LEAST 10 fire trucks and all manner of ambulances and emergency vehicles.
Times Square is a MESS around 730pm anyway, with all the theatre traffic on a Friday night, but add in all that?? wow - it was a major SNAFU!I made my way across town, past Rockefeller Center to Lexington and 51st
for a night at the Doubletree Metropolitan. What a nice hotel and I had a SAH-weet suite. I was upgraded to the top floor with a lovely firm king size bed, which was VERY nice, except for the annoying girls in the 2 rooms across the hall. Why people think it is ok to laugh and talk in a regular tone when you are walking down a hotel hallway is beyond meAnyway, here is the link to the camera near my office: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?cam=lennon. If you know my phone number, call me and let me know when you are watching and I will go down if I can. Although, I have lost my phone charger, so you may need to call me at the office...if you know my phone number, then you probably know my office number too, or know where to look for it.....
6 comments:
I'm jealous! I love New York. Have a wonderful time!!!
Nice pic of the Rock center!
Also, if you run into the King, tell him IG sez hello!
Glad you didn't take an unexpected swim in the Hudson!! Snag one of the firefighters while you are there!! Isn't it about time for a move??
Wow. Glad you're okay! Have fun in NY!
Welcome to NY! I've lived here my whole life and it's amazing. You should definitely ask me questions if you have any!
I actually wrote a guide to New York for my job...I don't usually like to blow my own horn, but I even learned a few things writing it (and I've been here a long time.)
http://tinyurl.com/8blb7e
Diane - thank
IG - the king hasn't posted much lately has he??
Laurie - can you say HELL YEAH
Janie - you and my mom
RB - i lived here for several years before I escaped to AZ so I know my way around but THANKS. I will check your url out. I love being back!!
Post a Comment