12 March 2009

FL Ren Faire 2009

I love the Renaissance Festival. Not sure why, as it is almost always a dusty, back breaking, crowded, stomach-ache inducing affair, not to mention expensive. Every time I go, I either end up with intestinal distress, if you get my drift, or some crazy eye infection. But, I love the costumes, and the fantasy, and some of the shows are hilarious, and who doesn't love Picklina, the Pickle Lady? And some of the food is awesome, like the arepas! And I love the jewelry and music, such as the Minstrels of Mayhem (they are broken up now, but this is a fabulous version of Health to the Company), and Celtic Mayhem too! Fortunately, over the years I have cultivated some good friends who work for the various faires, so not only do I get in free sometimes, I usually have access to the inner sanctum, the back stage area, and the "after parties."

This year, while I was in Ft. Lauderdale, I went to the 19th Annual Faire with my friend D. I worked at
this one the first year or two it was in town, but D actually went on the road with them for a while - they do a circuit of the US and go to Virginia, Wisconsin and some other places. There is another tour that goes around to Texas, Arizona and Colorado, etc. The people who work there live in campers and tents and usually get regular temp jobs during the week when they are in town, like some of my friends are massage therapists or they make jewelry, etc. D was on the road with a couple of different booths until she birthed twins and it became a little harder to live in a camper.

H
ere are some highlights and lowlights of this year's melee...It is always such a mix of traditional renaissance era costumes, and Robin Hood, and Lord of the Rings, with fairies and sorcerers, and wenches and fair maidens, and courtiers and courtesans, and then there are the ones who couldn't pick just one. Some people dp NOT look in the full length mirror before they leave the house, apparently, not that I am the fashion police. It did piss down rain for about 10 minutes and there is very little shelter to be had at Quiet Waters Park!




it takes all kinds, dontcha know?

7 comments:

RB said...

These pictures are great...they kinda made me want to go. My mom took us once when I was twelve and it was so much fun!

Diane said...

I've never been to a Ren Fair but I've always wanted to go... maybe there will be one near here this year...

Michelle said...

I too always wanted to go to a Ren Fair. It looks like all kinds of fun!!!

Charmaine said...

OMG. It was once my goal in life to be one of the "wenches" at the Renaissance fair.

I wanted to be the lady who pastes on red lipstick and kisses all the fellas.

See, I really AM a whore...in waiting.

Arepas. Yum. I would skip the gigantic turkey leg. In fact, don't eat at the R fair. Don't do it.

Vodka Mom said...

omg I am a REN FAIR FREAK!! i love that shit.

SSP said...

@RB yeah, it is time to go again - it has so much more meaning when you are older...there is a lot of bawdi-ness that is lost on the young

@Diane - NEVER? girl, you need to pop that Cherry. I will go find the one closest to you!!

@Michelle...see above - it is a awesome experience

@Charmaine - I think you would make an awesome Kissing Wench, and I bet you could get a lot of $$...as for the turkey leg, girl, I lived in NYC for 5 years, you can't get me to eat "public meat" for anything, and NO I don't meant it like THAT!!

That Janie Girl said...

That little boy is TOOO cute!