WISH YOU WERE HERE!!
Man, am I loving this "relaxation" shit! I could do this forever! Sorry for leaving you hanging about the green sand, I have had no internet access, and to tell you the truth, have not missed it one bit. Of course, logging in today, I had a MASSIVE amount of email to get through...how did I ever stay in the loop before email, I wonder?
Anyway, to continue to adventure....I decided to get outta dodge on Monday. I got up early and drove
around the top of the island towards Hilo. I stopped at a scenic overlook and met a cute guy selling Lychee out of the back of his truck. He gave me one, and they are amazing. I didn't want them sitting in the car all day and planned to stop on the way back to get a mess of 'em but he was gone. Anyway, I continued almost to Hilo, destinatation: Akaka Falls. It was gorgeous. I went over to the Kahuna Falls first - en route, I passed a woman who was breathing heavily, bemoaning the fact that it was a waste of a walk and that is was another MILE til I got there. I was a little worried but kept on...what a wimp. It was maybe 1/4 mile and while it wasn't STUNNING, it was still pretty cool. The circle loop was closed, but the walk was just as amazing both directions. It was LUSH and green and the plants were out of this world! Giant ferns and a huge banyan tree.
Moss dripping from the trees like frosting, and the tranquil sound of water rushing through the stream! Then I went to see the Akaka Falls themselves...wow. 420' drop! It occurred to me several times that the whiney, obnoxious, ill mannered kids I keep running into might make a rather decent offering to Pele from this point and I did look around.....there were a few, but none I thought I could push without getting caught, more's the pity.
Next stop, Laupahoehoe Point, which was devastated by a tsunami on April 1, 1946. 20 students and a few teachers were swept out to sea and never found. The place is eeriely quiet, except for the water, which is BIG and THICK and a deep intense blue.
Then it was up to Waipio Valley. WOW!! what a vista to behold! I momentarily considered walking down th 25% grade - it was ONLY a mile...but then sanity returned and I remembered I would still have to walk back up.....next time, on a horse, perhaps....
I made a pit stop for some ice cream in Honoka'a where I met Paulitta. She was so cool - a Ph.d and a retired teacher - her husband too...Now, she makes custom Aloha shirts and they grow coffee beans. She has repeat customers around the world, who pay $100 for her shirts. She was fascinating - all of her kids are brilliant - her daughter is in Paris, works for the UN or something and one of her sons is in San Francisco and another one back home in the Phillipines. If you want her email address for a shirt, let me know - they were gorgeous...
OK they are kicking me out of Starbucks...more will have to wait!! ALOHA!!!
2 comments:
That waterfall is amazing!
in person, it was breath taking...to hear the POUNDing of the water, and we were still so far away...i can only imagine the power of it drilling into the rocks below!!!
Post a Comment