Now, one of my best memories of Christmas is my granny's pralines...my grandmother did the cookies, but my granny did the candy!! And oh my god, they were to die for - just melted in your mouth and she NEVER messed them up!! As a little kid, I wasn't such a fan cuz kids don't like nuts, do we? But by junior high, I salivated every time I saw pecans. Every year, she would send my dad a tin of them, and they always seemed to arrive when I wasn't home, and he spirited them away to hide in his closet or under the bed, and by the time I tracked it down, there were just buttery crumbs left at the bottom of the Collin Street Bakery tin...but even the dregs were worth it. Of course back then I had not idea how to cover with insulin for all that extra sugar and ended up feeling like utter crap for days after.
Then my granny died, and I decided to make them my ownself. I asked my mom if she had the recipe and she pulled out a file folder, and said "this is a valuable file folder. When I die, don't throw this away." What is in it, I asked. "It's not what is IN it," she said, "it's what's written ON it." And there in my granny's scratchy handwriting, is the recipe for her pralines (which I can't share with you, but, you can imagine...sugar, butter, pecans and some other stuff)
So I am a true scrooge - I am wearing a grinch t-shirt today, i have not started shopping, i have piles of work to do and I am supposed to drive to houston on sunday...BUT screw all that, I am gonna go make pralines..if they come out (and the humidity has to be right for them to set), I will post some photos...too bad they haven't perfected smell0vision yet...you would DIE!!
OK...they came out good!! I am so excited
This is what the brown sugar looked like, curiously. I don't think this is what they mean when they say "packed"
here is the sugars and something else and the butter melting nicely

starting to boil, and adding another secret ingredient
this is the hard ball stage (not to be confused with the soft ball, the stinky ball, the hairy ball, and the godawful hard crack!!
adding pecans
cooling down, just about ready to be candy
first batch cooled a little quick
2nd batch looked a little better
the pot is about to be licked clean
6 comments:
Pee Can Pray Leen
Ok, so that is how i say it!!! So, thanks for setting me straight girlie!!!
Your photos look great but i think i need to know the somethings you put in the recipe to make it all perfect and candy like!!!
LIKE NOW!!!
Oh man, they look so good, they might even be able to put a dent in my Grinchy outlook!!
MJ - yes those who have never had a true southern praline don't ever say it right - once you taste the exquisite delight that IS my granny's pralines, your whole mouth just slows down an' ever'thin' jus' comes out a liddle slower....prawwwwww leeeeen...mmmmm
and the other ingredients are ancient chinese secret :-) sorry (if there are any left I will bring you some)
Diane, they are fabulous, but I tell ya, I had to give myself an extra large dose of insulin last night, cuz they ARE killer....I think the best way to get out of bad mood for most people is to eat sugar...for me it has the opposite effect and I was a dragon lady when I finally went to bed at 3am...
Yummm :)
Post a Comment