23 May 2008

rich but not my type

now this is a good story...

my mom went to high school with this guy, Mr. B...they dated, blah blah blah...but she ends up marrying my dad and here I am....but Mr. B married mom's best friend from high school, so over the years, they have all stayed in touch...Mr. and Mrs. B had kids about the ages of me and my siblings and we would go over to their house when we were in their state, and they'd come see us in ours, in fact my mom helped Mrs. B set up their ski condo (and scored us a key!!!), So, Mr. and Mrs. B have a son, let's call him Farty Marty, and while he was a cute little kid, i never really gave him much thought...he came to see me once in grad school, and gave me a new key to the condo, and over the years we have emailed etc. and he attended a family wedding with me. I found out through another friend of the family that Farty Marty is MADLY in love with me, and had been for years...oh jeeeeeeezzzzz...He is an alcoholic, he does NOT take care of himself at all physically, paunchy and squishy and he smokes, and worst of all, he is a cliche "right wing reactionary xenophobic, homophobic, anti-choice, pro-gun, leave it to beaver trip back to the 50s" (to quote bruno from the west wing)....and that was all OK when we were friends, cuz i accept my friends the way they are, but I am incapable of loving someone like that!

Here is the rub, or what my mama thinks ought to be the rub...Mrs. B is richer than Midas (probably why Mr. B married her instead of my mom?!?). Farty Marty stands to inherit buckets of money....but does that help erase all that other stuff??? not a chance...my mom SO wants me to like him - "she just wants me to be happy." but I flat out told her, that if I were to EVER marry him, she would KNOW I had a boyfriend on the side, as I am attracted to Farty Marty at about "neg 16," on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being with my heart and soul and all available corpuscles of my body. I could care LESS about his money, mores the pity.

BUT, despite his warts, I like him as a friend...he gives me fodder for my "reasons NOT to be republican and to be glad I don't live in the South anymore" file, and he is funny and has nice manners...so, should i just marry him and be done with it???

No comments: