So, along those lines, the first insulin pumps were developed (the first one is pictured...they have come a long way!), to mimic the body in dripping out small amounts all day, and then giving bigger surges, or boluses, at meal times when the blood sugar soared. For the last 20 years, I have ussed an insulin pump. This device is attached to me with a small catheter under the skin that I have to change out every 4 or 5 days. Yes, it goes IN, piercing the skin, with a needle, but then I pull the needle out, leaving a small plastic tube. The insulin travels from the pump and into me via 20" of tubing. I can disconnect the pump for a shower or to go swimming, but I can't be away from my "lifeline" for much longer than that.

The pump is programmed by me to administer a tiny amount of insulin every few minutes, just like a normal body, to take care of my metabolic needs.....I test my blood sugar frequently to make sure I don't have too much sugar in my blood, or just as bad, too much insulin. To do this, I poke a hole in my finger and test it on a little device. Yes, it hurts a little bit.
And that is where the math comes in. For example, I want to eat a bagel, which from package label I can see has 45 grams of carbohydrate. Since I know that (for me), 1 unit of insulin will "take care" of 15 grams of CHO, that is easy math to figure out - 3 units of insulin for the 45 gm CHO bagel. So, I test my blood sugar. and it is in a normal range, say 100, so I can take my three units and be done. However, if my blood sugar is HIGH, say 200, FIRST I have to take enough insulin to lower me to a normal place (for me, that target is 100). Since I know that one unit of insulin will lower my blood sugar ~50 points , that is easy math - I need to take 2 units to bring me down to 100, PLUS the 3 units for the 45 grams of carbohydrate. Timing the administration of the insulin can also a tricky process. Insulin does not immediately bring my blood sugar down, so I have to take insulin well before I eat, so it has a chance to start working - especially if I am a little high - it needs to start bring me down before I add more sugar to my blood.While taking insulin IS the only option, insulin is NOT a cure, and it is not a ideal solution to avoid the complications associated with diabetes...blindness, kidney and heart disease, loss of circulation and amputation as well as a whole HOST of unappealing options. It is pretty much a fact that even with very tight glucose control, many type 1 diabetics will develop complications anyway

Several years ago, "they" developed continuous glucose monitor - these little devices are also inserted under the skin, and they send a message every few minutes to yet another device, with a blood sugar level. They are really extraordinary devices, very accurate but just one more tool for ME to manage my blood sugar. Instead of testing my blood sugar 8 or 9 times per day, the CGM tests me every 5 minute, so there are 288 readings every day and I can more accurately program my insulin pump and administer meal boluses. But I will be the first to say that they are not always 100% accurate.I still test my blood the "old fashioned " way several times a day.

For a long time, we have dreamed of, if not a cure, then a "closed loop" system....Taking the person OUT of the mix, so to speak. They now call this the Artificial Pancreas, and there are several versions currently being studied....one is gene therapy, another is a bioengineering approach using transplanted beta cells (Insulin producing cells that MY body does not have); and the third version is the Technology version - a pump and a CGM (which I already have), but the difference is they talking to each other and reacting, WITHOUT interference or input from ME!
Thanks to funding and research spearheaded by JDRF, this is now a reality in the United States. In theory, it has been approved by the FDA and it is currently in human studies in various places around the country. And I am thrilled to announce, that I have been selected to be a participant in Phase II of a trial for the Artificial Pancreas project!
I will be leaving for Santa Barbara next Sunday for the first of two 40-hour studies. I will wear 2 Dexcom 4 glucose sensors and wear a Tandem insulin pump from Sunday night until Tuesday morning. The devices will be hooked together with a modified Iphone, and I will be asked to eat, sleep and exercise.like a normal person while they watch how the iphone application works. I will do it again the following week. To say I am excited is an understatement....and I look forward to sharing the experience with my friends and family, many of whom have been donating to the JDRF for years in hopes of a cure.....
So,, let' hear it for technology, science and math!!! SUPPORT STEM EDUCATION!

5 comments:
You go girl! Let's hope technology works for you as it should.
thanks Susan....sadly it looks like my errant thyroid issue is back and it will prevent me from attending. I am SO sad!!!
Excited for you! Look forward to hearing the results. We have a family member who is also diabetic. Seeking info about if our baby's cord stem cells might be of any use... Would love to hear all you learn as part of the project!
My heart goes out to you. Graves disease is NO FAIR! I am thinking about you, and wish you all the best.
thanks Sharron and Susan....sadly i was excluded for the Graves, but I see my endo on Monday and will hopefully get it fixed soon.....and Sharron, they are studying the use of stem cells, including cord cells. It is not there yet, but I think it will come...probably not in my life time...for me, I think the "bionic" cure is what I will get...and frankly, I would be happy with that....let's hear it for technology!!
Post a Comment