26 March 2013

Restrictions

So, thyroid problems are the most common endocrine issue in the world, and while Type I Diabetes is a lot less common, combined with a thyroid issue, it makes quite a big deal. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease - hyperthyroid, in 1981, and was treated with thyroid lowering medication for a year. The disease went into remission for about 20 years, then it came back twice...i was again treated with the medication and it went awy....so here we are again.

The main symptoms are an inability to concentrate or focus on tasks, a racing heartbeat, trembling hands, missing periods and double vision...all of which I have dealing with for the last several months, plus really uncontrollable, unpredictable blood sugars. The upshot is I am having a thyroid scan next week, and in order to prepare for that, I am on an iodine restricted diet, which means no dairy, no eggs, no fish, no soy...and it is amazing what those 4 things are in...if there is butter in something...nope.  Soy Lecithin?  nope. Seaweed? nope. Milk solids...nope. Iodized salt is out for obvious reasons, though NON iodized salt is fine. Fortunately MOST canned food is now prepared with non-iodized salt and there are lists of manufacturers available.

Thanks to the internet, I have been able to find plenty of dairy free recipes...I am not much of a cook, other than soup (and my chicken stock might have iodized salt in it, so that is out...). But lookie what found:

 This is the the starting place for Banana, Peanut Butter, Coco-pops. I don't have popsicle molds so I improvised with Dixie Cups and plastic spoons. Here is the finished project:

It was DELICIOUS!  Even when I can have ice cream again, I will make this snack!. Here is the recipe:

2 bananas
2 little spoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 C lite Coconut milk
1/2 t vanilla
1 big squeeze of Agave Nectar
2 handfuls of roasted unsalted peanuts

Run the whole thing through the blender. Pour it into molds or dixie cups and force yourself to leave the freezer door shut for at least 2 hours...and VOILA!

2 comments:

Krystal said...

That actually looks good and sounds like something I can give my son who is sensitive to lactose!! Awesome job and hope the scan comes out okay :-)

SSP said...

Krystal, they are delicious! I gave the store-bought popsicle to the kid I was babysitting last night so I could have another one of these!! 2nd day of no dairy, and I am still not completely adjusted....craving CHEESE!!