So, my profession, my avocation and my vocation, indeed, my very PASSION has always been theatre...I have two degrees from high fallutin' universities; I have a credible and almost distinguished resume - and am proud of the work I have done all over the country. However, after a blistering, morale shattering experience last year with a show I directed downtown, I have found myself not even wanting to go see shows, let alone direct anything, and I haven't even auditioned for a show! I saw a few great shows in NYC last winter, but the few things I have seen locally have all been SO BAD, that I kicked myself for even going! I thought, I need to snap out of this...I LOVE theatre, so I dragged myself to the theatre last night - it was an "Old Time Radio" style thing.
I took a friend who had moved to town recently, and we dragged her husband along too. The group has been doing this radio thing for well over a year, so my expectations were perhaps a bit high, I suppose, but oh MY god, it was just SO sad.....unrehearsed, horrible useless sound effects, weak acting, and an ineffective director sitting in the front row supposedly "cueing" things, when neither actors or sound techs ever looked up from the script! AND a really really poor script on top of it.....The did a McGee and Molly (?) style thing, but not one of the actors catured the twang and zip of "doll" "sis" "lissen here" "sayyyy..." it was just so FLAT....
I went to "Old Time Radio" drama, wanting to close my eyes and imagine being cozied up to the wireless, but frankly I was scared to close my eyes for fear I would fall asleep - my FRIEND and her husband did, and the only reason I didn't was because I dug a hole in my arm with my finger nail. An acquaintance was the playwright...and two guys I have directed in other projects were in it....and they were just horrible!!!! I ducked out a side door quickly at the end
Sigh...and THAT is the state of the arts in Tucson......
2 comments:
First quakies and now theatre? You truly are a lost soul... :P
I'd have thought Tucson would be more urbane than that...
no kidding......me TOO....and for a while i thought it actually WAS...but now, I am just disillusioned...
Post a Comment