In fact, as an individual, I raise more than many family groups here in Tucson....and they have cute little kids to use as bait. Of course, some raise tons more money, but I guess if you are a lawyer or stockbroker, you have lots of contacts to
And yet, when I go to check in on the morning of the walk for four years in a row, my NAME was not even on the list as being registerd to walk! What the hell is that? I don't want the plaque they give everyone who raises over $1,000...I have several - I don't need a physical token of appreciation, but I'd just like to have my name on the friggin' list....One year, I WAS on the list, and it showed how much I had raised. The girl checking me in, looks up, her eyes huge, and she said, "Wow, you have raised more than anyone I have checked in today," and then she said, THANK YOU. And THAT, my friends, that was what I was waiting for. Someone to say THANK YOU. Sure, I am raising money to find a cure for a disease I have, so it may seem a little self-serving, but it isn't really.
See, I could easily make my personal donation of $50 or $100 and feel pretty good, and be done with it. However, I have the "ability" to USE myself, and raise tens times more...People give to people, not causes, and my friends and family support the JDRF because of ME (or another diabetic they know). It isn't like I make a personal donation of $1,500, but the fact that my begging and pleading with my friends and family result in this chunk of money, that might not otherwise have been raised, and for someone to say, THANK YOU, to me, for doing it, makes it mean so much more.
So, I am walking, again (since they haven't managed to find a cure YET), on November 6th....and we will see, won't we? Will my name be on the list, or will I have to walk in a snarly mood?
If you are a reader of my blog, and you are one of the people who donated, THANK YOU - I love you, and your support of my cause means more to me than just the monetary value! If you haven't seen my little video, please check it out...You don't have to donate...just watch it and maybe share it.....like the most awesome blogger in the world, The King of New York Hacks (thanks King!!). If you found my blog thanks to the King's lovely post, welcome...I hope my ranting, raving and griping and moaning don't scare you off.....
And if JDRF can figure out a way to get my name on the LIST, I will even be a happy girl for a few hours!!! I don't know if I will be able to stand being happy.....but let's not put the cart before the horse....
4 comments:
Well, good luck. I hope you're on that damn list! However, snarly moods really can fuel the walking fire.
Give 'em hell darlin'.
Karen: I keep getting emails about being sure to register.....and yet, I have raised over $2K...so I just have to wonder....
LL.....we will see how much hell i have. I will have stayed up all night the night before writing for a 10 minute play contest...i may be too tired to be snarly!!
Post a Comment