27 August 2010

My First Time

his hand slowly traced a path up my thigh.....I felt his warm breath as hee nibbled on my ear lobe

HA....bet you thought you were gonna get a nice, juicy dirty story out of me, didn't ya?

Sorry....but no.  I will save that for my OTHER blog.....THIS is a story about my first migraine. It happened last night and I tell ya, this may have been as a memorable as that OTHER night (March 25, 1985, in case you want to know....)

So, I worked all day yesterday after hiking in the canyon earlier in the day. Nothing unusual about that. I was on the phone for about 1/2 an hour, and then went to the kitchen about 8:30pm. As I was foraging for something to eat, I felt this ache crawl up the back off my neck into my head. I thought maybe I had been on the computer too long, so I popped some aspirin and started washing dishes or SOMETHING....I can't really remember because within a few minutes, the ache, had settled behind my eye and I felt like I was being stabbed.  I stumbled to the bathroom to see if my eye was bleeding (it has before, so it wouldn't have been the first time - only there was no pain the other time).  The white was blood shot, but after being on the computer all day, and me pressing on my eye for the last few minutes, not unusually red...But the pain, my god, the pain!!!  I tested my blood sugar, since usually when something is WRONG with me, everyone blames the diabetes first.  It was a little high, but nothing abnormal...

Then, I started to feel nauseous, and thought "maybe aspirin on an empty stomach is not such a good idea," so I had a bowl of cereal.  That didn't help, and in fact the nausea got worse. I was feeling short of breath, so I sat down and called a friend. She said I might be having a migraine, and suggested having some caffeine and putting an ice bag on my eye, and if it didn't help she'd bring me some migraine pills she had.....I don't like to do caffeine at night, so I decided to just go lie down - though she had warned me she couldn't lie down when she had her migraines....and she was right. The nausea was worse and all my zen breathing couldn't calm my pounding heart, so I got up again.  Now the lights in the kitchen were bothering me too, so I drank some warm Dr Pepper, took a Vicidin, turned out all the lights, and curled up in the arm chair with an ice bag on my head, trying to control my heart beat and breath.Then I waited for the cliff dive of the Vicidin to set in. Usually a 1/2 pill will knock me senseless for 8 hours in about 20  minutes.  An hour later, I FINALLY dropped off.

I woke up around 3, still groggy, but the pain was gone anyway...so I went and got in bed. It took about an hour for me to be able to go back to sleep, so I felt like crap when the alarm went off to go to Pilates. Suffice it to say, I didn't go

I have never felt pain like this in my head in my life. If this is the pain they are talking about in those head ache commercials, then you constant migraine sufferers have my deepest sympathies.  I am  hoping this is a one off abnormality...although, I HAVE noticed some other hormonal changes, like in my skin and hair...this BETTER not be related to MENOPAUSE......


wahhhhhhhh!  Any one else suffer REAL migraines, not those little piddly things most people whine about?

6 comments:

Jennifer Louise said...

Hahahahaha.

Kat said...

I have had two in my life (one was possibly triggered by marzipan) and they were Truly. Awful. Second one even had the visual disturbances (blurry sight, colorful squiggles). They are truly awful!

SSP said...

jen...yer laughing at my pain? hmmm.... :-)

Kat....yes blurry sight, and there would have been squiggles I am sure if i had left them open.....but it made me want to throw up to see stuff, so i turned the lights out and closed my eyes....

Captain Dumbass said...

I had one related to my sinuses a long time ago. I remember it being summer and crawling under my bed because the floor was cool on my head.

Melanie said...

I can sympathize I use to get them when I was younger!!!! Hope it doesn't come back again...I wouldn't wish those on my worst enemy...well maybe them... but no one else!!!!

Gretchen said...

Hi, my name is Gretchen and I'm a classic migraine sufferer. Mine are so bad, I've been sent to the world famous Cleveland CLinic to try and get help. They gave up on me. I'm one of the rare ones that nothing works for very long. I'm on a VERY STRONG narcotic every day. It's the only way I'm able to crawl out of bed each day. I had to quit my dream job (full time staff reporter for a large newspaper in this region) because I spent more time in the hospital than I did at the office. :(

I've been hospitalized for a week at a time, hooked up to a pain pump, getting dilaudid pushed into my veins every 3 minutes.

I understand how Zeus must have felt when Athena was ready to be born. I can imagine the stabbing and pounding is a living being inside my head. Obviously, the person who wrote about that birth suffered with migraines. People can't understand exactly what kind of nightmare we go through. If I hear, "It's just a headache" one more time, I swear I'm going to start screaming and not stop til my head explodes. (Hey, not a bad idea, at least then the pain will go away.)

Vicodin does absolutely nothing for me. Morphine is no better than water and it gives me a stomach ache. Dilaudid worked for a while, but after a year on it, my doc upgraded and now I'm on the strongest thing they can give outside of a hospital setting. Why can't anyone help? If I could even get the pain down to a 6, I'd be in heaven! The pain is always in my head. Tonight, it's jabbing in my right eye. I would do just about anything to make it stop, even for a little while. That Excedrin migraine commercial is a riot! My migraine could eat the entire bottle and not even flinch.

Sorry to hear you get them, too. I write a lot about the pain on my blog. Seems it's taken over my life and taints everything I do. If it's not at a 9, I'm afraid to act too happy or I'll get slapped down hard. :(