Personally, I am thrilled about the vote last night...the bill still needs some tweaking, but the sea change that needs to come is one step closer to being able to happen...if the god damn partisan politicians would get off their high horses and work together.....anyway, I wrote the following to Hilary Clinton back when she was trying to spearhead reform almost 20 years ago.....
Health Care - A Contradiction of Terms
Oxymorons don't always translate. Phrases like "jumbo shrimp," "icy hot," and "young republican" are perplexing to people who don't really know our language. "Health care" is another good example of an oxymoron. Like "military intelligence," the two words are complete contradictions - opposites, in fact. They don't "care" in the "health" business, as it should be called. Insurance companies don't care, the government says it cares, but truly doesn't, and unless they're being directly affected, the general public doesn't care.
But most Americans don't have any choices when it comes to "health care." Sure, we have the option to avoid malaria-infested rain forests. It is our prerogative to stay away from India during Typhoid season, and no one really dies of the Bubonic plague anymore. We can choose to pay astronomical premiums; we can elect to stay in a dead-end job because of insurance. However, I don't remember being given the option to choose my health problems. It's not like a big Wal-mart: "Think I'll go pick me up a coupla them broken bones. And how about a serious case of mono. Throw in a couple side orders of assorted strep infections. Oh, and I love that measles look! Those spots will look super with my red silk jammies, and hey, why not splurge -it's only one life! Throw in one of those chronic illnesses. Nothing that'll kill me real quick, but something to last a life time - something expensive, but virtually invisible; something relatively painless, but something insurance companies will run from at great speed. And will you accept American Express with that order?"
God bless America. Home of the wealthy, land of the free, a nation of opportunity. America, one of the only countries in the world where you can legally have sex before you can have a drink. A country where government marching bands get more support than the National Endowment for the Arts and where trivial issues, like education and housing, get less funding that the defense budget. America: a country where the government thinks that a few randomly placed band-aids can heal serious wounds and cure disease.
Yes, I've been denied complete coverage, thanks to diabetes. I waited out the year "pre-existing clause," all the while praying nothing expensive would happen while I was insurance-less. Now that the year is up, I qualify for some coverage. I got an insulin pump. I see my doctor on a regular basis. I get my necessary tests done. And I consider myself undeniably fortunate, when compared to the millions who have no insurance. However, there is still a rider to my policy that says since I had laser treatments on my eye in the past, any claim relating to illness of the eye will be denied. Oh, if I step on a rake and poke my eyeball out, they'll cover the injury, but if I should get a sty, or glaucoma, or if a blood vessel in my retina should bleed as a result of having diabetes for 20 years (retinopathy)...forget it!
So here I am. 30 years old, in absolutely excellent health (ask my doctor), looking and feeling better than ever. To look at me, you'd never know there was a clot of blood almost totally obscuring the vision in my left eye. You may notice I have no depth perception, especially when I drive - you may notice I have more tension headaches from cloudy vision, but you won't see any problem, and before long, without proper treatment, neither will I. See, that is.
For even though I take meticulous care of myself, even though I test my own blood sugar 6 - 8 times a day, even though I watch every gram of carbohydrate, fat and protein that goes into my body - despite all these efforts, the damage is already done. It might not get worse, thanks to the new, improved (and I might add, government-approved), control. But, without additional treatment, it is likely that my eye will continue to bleed, which may someday cause my retina to detach. Then I'll really be in a bind...a 1/2 blind bind.
Of course, then I'll qualify for all kinds of government assistance - maybe even Medicaid, and I won't even have to get pregnant (yes, I was told that if I were pregnant, I would qualify for government assistance in my eye situation!) Hell, I'll even get the extra "blind" deduction on my income taxes for the rest of my miserable, dark life. Just think of all the tax payer’s dollars going to help the poor ½ blind diabetic with the pre-existing condition rider to her “health care” policy. Is this a great country or what? It really is ludicrous, when this whole disgusting scenario could’ve been avoided by simply providing medical assistance, “health care” if you will, to those who need it, rather than to those that can afford it.
I always felt so fortunate to be an American, but right now, if I were an illegal alien, rescued from a sinking rubber raft in the Caribbean, then I'd be all set!
For here in America, we help those poor unfortunates, those huddled masses, those political refugees, those who come to this great land in search of a new and better life. They are lucky. They probably don't know what an oxymoron is where they're from. I think the oxymoron is a truly American invention: "cruel kindness" "terribly nice" "health care." Those are some REAL American words.
3 comments:
I've never understood how a country as wealthy as yours doesn't have health care or why it's such an issue to begin with.
I was nodding my head throughout the entire post. Socialized health care has its drawbacks but I have very few complaints about the UK's health system when compared with the one in the US.
Briana is in Tuscan. She doesn't have your number. Her cell:720-210-7379 She wan't you to give her a call!!
Post a Comment