11 March 2010

sunshine

sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
sunshine on the water looks so lovely
sunshine almost always makes me cry

that song makes me cry.....i love john denver. i wish i could paint the way he makes me feel. I used to sing this song sitting on the chair lift at Winter Park. Didn't give a dead rats ass who heard me OR what they thought.

Have you ever ridden the Looking glass chair lift at Winter Park? It is the shortest lift there, but it takes you to Butch's Breezeway and Vista Dome trail. From there you can see 360 degrees - the valleys the other mountains, Berthoud Tunnel, the highway, and if you are lucky, the blue blue blinding blue sky....inhale, feel your nose freeze together for a moment, then you exhale and it all melts again. It is hard to breathe, not just cuz of the altitude but also it is so breathtakingly beautiful. It is almost hard to tear yourself away from that perfect vision and hit the slope.

I remember skiing at Winter Park when I was a kid.....even in high school, I still passed for the 12 and under child's lift ticket - $12 sure was better than $16....I would give anything to have those days back.....I wish my blood sugar had been in better control, I am sure I would have had MUCH more fun if I wasn't always worried about peeing my pants.....

Here I am a couple years ago at a ski area in Arizona.....my skis used to be TALLER than me, and what ARE these fat wide things? what happened to my long sleek skis?? Man, times have changed....the lift ticket was like $40 too, and I KNOW Winter Park is LOTS more than that.

oh well....good memories....and as the sun streams through the blinds, I sing softly to myself.....
If I had a tale that I could tell you
I'd tell a tale sure to make you smile
if I had a wish, that I could wish for you
I'd make a wish for sunshine all the while.....

3 comments:

Gina said...

i love john denver... :)

Laurie said...

We had some great times on Saturdays taking the ski bus for a day of fun! WP is still my favorite.

SSP said...

oh we had us some gooood days at Winter Park.....