So there I was...sitting in Starbucks. I scored the comfy chair and was just hanging out, drinking my over priced coffee, reading the NY Times, as I do nearly every Ssunday afternoon....and this guy sits at the table next to me. That's fine, its a free country for the most part, he can sit wherever he wants. i move my papers off the communal table to give him some room, I smile, but I am not flirting or anything. He takes out his laptop and starts typing furiously. A few minutes later someone comes up and asks if an empty chair next to me can be taken, and I say, "my imaginary friend is sitting there. " Ha ha's all around, the chair goes, and the guy makes a cute comment about "his" invisible friends...yuk yuk yuk. I continue to mind my own business and read my paper. At some point, I look up and glance his direction - not AT him - but out the window, which he is sitting next to, and he TURNS his computer screen away! He looks at me and asks, "can you see what I am typing?" - I tell him no, and thinking he was joking, I kinda lean in a little as if I was gonna try. He TURNS his computer completely away from me again (as IF you can see an LCD screen from any angle other than full on), and I joke," well hey, now I WANNA see what you are doing." He looks at me coldly and says in a mean voice - "it is none of your business"
I was totally joking! I could give a dead rat's ass what he was doing, or what porn site he was reading. I was so shocked at his utter lack of a sense of humor and his suspicious attitude toward me! No one has been bluntly MEAN to my face in a long time (usually they do it on line where they can't see my face). i couldn't think of anything smart to say at the time, but i did in the car later....why would he think I would give a crap about what he was doing? I was just sitting there MINDING my own business, even if I COULD see his screen, I wouldn't have even thought to LOOK!! I sat there a few minutes trying to focus on the newspaper, but my eyes were swimming...so I picked up my stuff and left...
so, yes, I took that personally, whether I should have or not - why he was so mean!! I was not flirting with him or anything - sometimes guys are mean when they think a woman is flirting....whereas I tend to be nicer to someone who is flirting with me and whom I am not interested in, cuz I simply can't stand hurting anyone's feelings (and I am in such shock that they are being nice to me in the first place), not that guys flirt with me much....in fact, i don't think i can remember the last time I was even smiled at by a guy....thank god for my fantasy life, i tell ya...i'd feel pretty alone otherwise. Pity my own coffee maker doesn't make coffee like Starbucks, then I wouldn't need to go there for anything!!
5 comments:
Have you read James Patterson's "Sunday at Tiffany's"? It is an excellent book. And not at all like "Along Comes a Spider"
i don't think so - i do like him. thanks for the suggestion :-)
UGH! Men are ridiculous sometimes!!! Me..i would have laughed in his face!! And then i would have stood up and turned the entire chair the other way so he couldn't see you and you couldn't see him!!!
Yep!!!
MJ has the right Idea...what a DICK...there is a line in GOODWILL HUNTING that I changed a bit that I like to use on such occasions. You say "Do you like apples" when they say yes you flip them off and say "How do you like them apples?"
Would it really kill everyone to be a little more friendly? Before spending all this time back in the midwest I had nearly forgotten how friendly everyone (for the most part) is here. To bad about the whole weather blowing is.
i think what bothered me the most is that other than the run of the mill ass on the road, or the over tired housewife in the grocery store, I really don't come into contact with mean-ness - and in such an innocuous (sp) innocent place, ya know?? oh well...
Post a Comment