09 November 2008

14 again

i am such a fool - I open with that, so it is understood I openly recognize my own folly and stupidity at the outset. K called last night while I was watching Sex in the City at CG's house - that is how us 40-somethings roll on a Friday night...in the middle of the movie, and it is the first time in weeks that K has called, and he is in a good mood - funny, goofy, the good old K that I just adore. I knew his psycho girlfriend had left on Wednesday but I had decided I was not gonna call him. But, of COURSE, I can't talk to him right now, cuz I am watching the movie with CG, and us 40-somethings don't dis our girlfriends for our boy friends...especially boy friends with girlfriends....especially the psycho ones like K has. So I tell him I will call him on Saturday and he says, he is going up to Scottsdale to pick up something, and wouldn't it be fun if I went...I almost choked but said I had to call him back....

So the movie is longer than sin, and we had to stop in the middle to go pick up CG's kid from the football game, since most 40-something, besides me, have kids in high school who do fun things like football games on Friday night. It is too late to call when the movie is over, so I emailed him when I got home, "sure I'll go if he wants me to."

This morning, I was just wiped from a whole week at the science fair, standing on the cement floor and frankly my back hurt, so I blew off the gym and got back in bed (did I mention the alarm clock is in the bathroom, so I literally have to GET up, walk across my room to turn it off - most mornings, that is enough to get me up and at 'em). But the kids next door were having none of that sleeping in on a saturday crap so they were out there rabble rousing for an hour while I played Sudoku and defragged my computer. Finally they were put back in their cages, and I headed back to bed and just as I was about to drop off, the phone rings, and it is K...am I coming, he asks (hardly), and if so can I hurry cuz he is running late...

HELL YEAH is what I was thinking but I just said, "uh yeah, I guess so...I'll be there in 1/2 an hour." Now, on a good day, I am a full 25 minutes from his house, and I have to shower....so, cue Lone Ranger music....I am off like a flash. I am shat, shaved and showered lickety split, dressed and redressed, hair and teeth brushed, even a spritz of body spray and I am out the door in about 15 minutes...I was only about 10 minutes late, and he was not mad - in fact he was goofy and happy


So, off we drive to Phoenix...talking laughing joking just like old times. He mentions the psycho girlfriend C a few times, she was gone back to Europe, they had seen a couples counselor, she was a complete raving lunatic, no talking or emailing for a month and then see how it stands etc. We get to the shop where he was picking up something he ordered, and once we get back on the road and he, of all people, decides he wants Burger King. I don't think I have eaten there in well over a decade, but we drive all over Scottsdale looking for a BK Lounge, and me secretly trying to monitor the streets to get us back to the highway. He tells me to navigate on his blackberry by saying, "here, you can figure this out." (and I did - I think he likes me cuz I am smarter than the average bear)

He had a minor meltdown on the highway when he missed the exit (I kept saying stay in this lane, but at the last second, he veered over and suddenly instead of 10E, we were on 10W. He rants and raves (not at me luckily for him) and curses and screams and I scream back at him, STOP IT, and he does, and after a few minutes of uncomfortable mumblings he says he is sorry, and the rest of the trip home if the same as the trip up, talking, laughing, joking and some talking about his problems with women, about which he talks very openly to me - always has.

Back in the old Pueblo, we stand out by my car for 40 minutes talking and laughing. We try to get Big G to go do something, but she was already "doing" her boyfriend, so we just keep talking. He mentions a book and says wanna go to the bookstore (hell yeah). So we go to barnes and noble, they don't have it, so over to Borders where we spend 40 minutes looking at books - he buys a ton, but not the one he wanted, so then we went to the used book store, where they also don't have it and we spend another 40 minutes....

Back to his house and he asks me to show him how to order it on line, (for a science geek with an IQ of 256, he sure is computer illiterate sometimes), so I show him and then he shows me the photos of the one day he and C had a nice time - they went horseback riding. Then he shows me the profile of his next victim on e-harmony...I am reading all his wants and dislikes and I am inwardly going ME ME ME ME ME...but not out loud of course...so the new victim (my word), is cute and perky and 30 and a firefighter...hell that is what I want too!! But I hate her already, and her frigging name is the same as mine, with one extra letter....crap

So, I yawn...busy day on sunday, gotta go, so THEN he wants to shows me his blow gun and we spend another quarter hour blowing darts. I am surprisingly good, considering my bad eyes and he is duly impressed with my aim and diaphragm control...and my friends, I am truly just basking in the attention he is giving me - the fun we are having, the open and frank way he talks to me and trusts me, and it just KILLS me that he doesn't want anything else

and even more frankly, I don't even thing I want anything else from him! The idea of sex with him is NOT something I think about - i mean is that weird??

Finally it is 1030, and I HAVE to go....it was a wonderful day and I tell him so, and thanks and off I go to my car......We have SUCH fun together, we get along on so many various levels - hell he even has REM, INXS and Gary Numan tapes in his car! I am too old, too fat and not calm enough for him, however. The issue has never really been addressed, except when I very first met him, almost 4 years ago, on line...it was clear then I was too old for him, but we have been friends a long time. Sigh....I adore him for some whack reason. just can't get him out of my head for some reason...

5 comments:

JIMSIGHT said...

I could wax on the this subject for an eternity but frankly I just don't have the time.

umm that is either me or hmmm never mind, that is me for sure....

Michelle said...

So i am glad you didn't interupt Sex and the City! Although, honestly i was disappointed in it! Didn't hold my interest. Then again not much does!!

Anyway, so sounds like a good time. There is too much to really say, so i am just glad you enjoyed your time with him!!!

SSP said...

oh i can wax, can't I, and wane...and I know most people don't, frankly, give a darn...but it's my blog and I'll whine if I want to :-D

SSP said...

yah the movie kinda blows...the whole jennifer hudson story irritated me, the writing was lackluster and it just crammed a tad too much in....but like you Michelle, it takes a LOT to hold my attention.....and yeah...I enjoy the time I can get with him. He is now in and out of town for the next few weeks and then I am in HELL time with work til february.....i love my imaginary boyfriend!

JIMSIGHT said...

hey just a quick question regarding this site...I started a couple blogs that i would like to post at the top...they keep coming up in the order of which I started them, since i currently have no patience for anything thought you, in your infinite wisdom may have the answer...