17 November 2008

MARK

Laurie asked who was Gary in my last post, and as I was typing a quick reply I realized how hilarious it was, so I thought I would share it here with my 4 loyal readers :-)

So, the Gary of which I speak hung out with a gang of boys who rode my bus to school, including one named Mark.  I actually took Gary to Sadie Hawkins Dance in 11th grade. He kissed me good night, and I can still feel that kiss!!

Mark  - gross - never even thought about him in junior high or high school - I was friends with his little sister. He and that pack of monsters would sit in the back of the bus and torment me when I got on. One year, my hair had turned really blonde over the summer from swimming, and they asked me if I had dyed my hair. Another time, they laughed at my satin jacket (which I LOVED) and asked if I had stolen it from Sean Cassidy (of course not - it was PINK), and another time, trend setter that I was, I wore my favorite ratty, worn out, holey, 501 jeans and one of them asked me if I was working in a gas station. Stuff like that - made me HATE riding the bus and man was I glad when my dad got me a car!!

But time changes all things, doesn't it? Fast forward to the Summer of 1984, right before my senior year at UCSB. My parents had moved to Florida and I didn't want to go there for the summer, so Cece and I were living in an apartment in Denver. We went out to Thirsty's (a disco) alot, and one night my sister came with us and as we were walking around, I noticed this skinny dork leaning into my little sister - it was a guy I knew from high school and I walk up and say, "stop hitting on my sister." He looks at me and we all laugh, and then this Tall GORGEOUS guy walks up and starts talking to us. I have no idea who it is, but we dance, and he is totally flirting with me and I am like wah hoooo. His name was Mark but I never made the connection. He finally says his last name, and I am flabbergasted....he grew more than a foot and really thinned out.....WOW...so we danced and talked the rest of the night - we even made out a bit...that's what 3.2 beer will do to a college girl. (Actually I was 21 at that point, but we still liked going to the 3.2 bars).

As it was getting close to closing time, I asked him why he was always so mean to me in high school- and he said, "didn't I know he had a mad crush on me all that time." NO! I had no idea and it is a good thing I didn't! Knowing me i would have thrown up on him or something.

At the 10 year reunion (at which I looked absolutely incredible, if I do say so myself), he barely said hello to me. I googled him and I think I found him...in 2006 he was selling tires in Denver.....


2011 update: I found out that Mark died of a brain aneurysm. His friends said it was probably brought on by alcohol. What is really sad is that Gary died too, several years ago, and also as a result of drugs.  Really sad that the TWO guys I ever kissed from high school both died really young...

5 comments:

Charmaine said...

Love that picture of you!!!!

Charmaine said...

Hey, you should change your main photo to this photo. It is wonderful!!

Laurie said...

Gracious! I had to go dig out the yearbook! I did not know that. I thought you like Neil L. I guess I wasn't paying attention. Too busy skipping French class and trying to win something at McDonald's!

SSP said...

oh god yes, there was Neil - Neil was the ongoing crush from 8th grade on. Over the 5 years, I also had Gary on the list, kinda like a "just in case" guy to cling to the thought of, and then there was Mark W, from french class who used to torment me and Laurie B. I had so many little crushes, it is amazing at least one didn't pick up on it - can't believe the only date I had in high school was the one I had to ask the guy out on.....oh well...i had good girl friends :-)

Laurie said...

I didn't really even have a date. I could have and cancelled. Bill F. probably still hates me for that. I just wasn't ready for that much attention when it was not mutual. I was too busy liking someone else. So much for the good old days!