"I wish I had a tan," I wrote, the last time I wrote in my journal...I am about to get that wish, and then some. Having spend most of January and all of February living out of a suitcase, I was loving being home, sleeping in my own bed, sitting on the floor in front of the TV eating dinner at 10pm, working out, doing arts and crafts. But as usual, my natural tendencies toward tumult and chaos took over after an email from dad last Friday. Currently sailing the Caribbean with his friend, Carol, he wrote "sure wish you were here. Everything is in french!" Since I had to be in Snowbird, Utah for work on April 8th, and was flying to Grand Rapids for Easter, and then teaching theatre workshops after that, the only time I had, I wrote back, was IMMEDIATE.
And they replied with....COME ON!!!! So, throwing prudence to the proverbial wind, and tossing my half-done taxes under my bed, I cashed in a frequent flyer award, arranged a last minute flight to Utah, (I had planned to drive), and emailed dad and Carol to put clean sheets on the bed...er, berth`.. I was on the way, mon!!
So here I am, sitting on the plane in Tucson...sit down, you idiots, buckle up and let's GO!!! I NEED a pina colada.
The trip to Dallas was uneventful, though I must say, it is never flying that is the problem for me...it is the damn security...Am I traveling with anything sharp, they ask....Only my wit, if they really want to know. In Dallas, American loaded us on and off twice before telling us we would be leaving on another plane, at another gate, another hour "or so" later....Arriving in San Juan at 9:45, I missed my connection, but fortunately, as it was mechanical trouble, American put me up at the Wyndham Hotel and even provided a few ducats for food. I called dad and Carol, who weren't even bothered that I hadn't arrived (sheeesssh)...they had gone to sleep already.
I wandered around the deserted hotel, tried to sneak down to the beach, but living in the age of security cameras as we do, chickened out from climbing over the piles of deck chairs that blocked the steps. American provided a $20 voucher for dinner, so I had some fabulous Puerto Rican chicken fingers and mashed potatoes - hey, I eat like an American - sue me! I sat next to the most obnoxious couple. Jim owns a catamaran company that charters out of Jamaica, and Jane is his uptight British twinkie who was extremely put out when the waiter didn't know what a lime daiquiri was....I pretended I was French and ignored them. Unfortunately, it was a casino hotel, so not only was I carbo loaded, a day short on my vacation, but I also lost $10 to the one armed bandits...such an addict I am...uncontrollable gambler...sigh...
To be continued.....
No comments:
Post a Comment