14 September 2008

In Memory of the Buffs

September Saturdays always make me think of CU Football games.....

The biting chill of autumn days
Puts football in my veins.
Though far away and out of sight,
The memory remains.

We infiltrate the stadium
To cheer our padded boys.
A winning score is not our aim -
Just making lots of noise.

Drowning out the marching band,
The hot dogs and the beers.
The paper planes and making up
Of dirty obscene cheers.

Yelling at the referee,
The passing up of bodies,
Sipping spiked hot chocolate drinks -
Those minty flavored toddies.

The crunching of the shoulder pads,
The grunts and yellow flags,
Even though we never win,
Our ardor never lags.

We know the team will lose the game,
But still we love our Buffs,
Even though we rant and rave,
and call them "Powderpuffs".

But one rare time, we were surprised.
We won the victory crown.
Frenzied and ecstatic,
We tore a goal post down.

Though now the field lays empty
And icy winds blow through,
The echo of our chant lives on -
"We love you, dear C.U." ( I wrote this in 1984 in a creative writing class at UCSB...I was sorely missing Boulder!)

I am raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundations. Click HERE to go to the secure JDRF page and make a donation. Or ask me for my mailing address is you want to send a check.

4 comments:

Charmaine said...

You're 47. I'm 47. You went to CU Boulder. I went to CU Boulder. I transfered so they made me live in Willy Villy for a year. What was your major?

Further, did the Buffs ever actually WIN? Remember all those "Take Back the Night" marches?

SSP said...

Nonononono.....I'm 34...no wait, I was your sister's roommate and you know she isn' 34.. crap. That is the trouble with knowing people..they know the truth. I'm 45.

I am kinda undeclared that first year and a half. then I tranfered to UCSB to get a degree in theatre. The Buffs won zero games in 1981, but in 1982, we won 2....oh yes I remember those marches....I never went but I remember how scary some of those women were...here - take it, you can HAVE the friggin' night

Charmaine said...

I hear you. I never attended any marches either. But I do recall all of the rape cases that supposedly inspired the marches.

None of the cases stuck.

But I was a budding feminist, I thought. I was trying to be "progressive". hee hee

Briana said...

I just talked to Charmaine and had to explain that the connection between you and her was not completely fortuitous. She was bummed.