29 October 2008

Ode to Alone

So, it isn't Iambic Pentameter, but it'll have to do.

Someone recently reminded me of Keats' Ode to Melancholy....a brilliant, "achingly beautiful" poem that discusses how you must experience pain to know pleasure, and I am not talking kinky sex here. You must relish being alone so that when you are with others, you can feel that power equally. I have to keep telling myself that I AM cut out for human interactions, and I have to stop short circuiting myself with that negative thinking. My first grade teacher was right when she said, "I worked better alone." Thinks [sic] like that. I am human and humans were not designed to exist alone. But, they just HAVE to be OK with it.

I
think I enjoy being alone....I like being able to work all night if whatever crack I smoked makes me WANT to do that. I like being able to lock my door when I go on a trip and KNOW everything will be exactly where I put it when I get home. I like stretching out on the bed and not run into some hot hairy body, (but then I have a little bed). Yeah, yeah, the "physical" part of not having another person sucks, but I guess if I had time I could ratchet up my online search and find someone to scratch that itch....but that is NOT what I want...I'd just rather be alone.....and remain hopeful

It is the LONELY I can do without.

My friends tell me I am
smart, kind, nice, fun to be with, generous, understanding, funny, my features are put together in a not completely unappealing way. What I think is more important is that I have many layers and levels, making me not only complex, like any other many-celled organism, but INTERESTING as well (dontcha think?)

I
think one of my flaws, or is it a fear, is that I won't commit - I have never owned a house for the single reason that I don't want to have to worry about the plumbing problems! I tell ya, this noncommittal thing is cuz of the life I lead. I abhor the idea of putting down my life savings for a house I won't get to really LIVE in....i won't let myself get a dog, cuz I know I would have to find daycare for him when i go gallivanting! This time of year, being alone almost doesn't bother me cuz I know I am getting into the annual HELL time with work, and then I will be leaving for weeks on end and do I really want to have a guy around then?? I am quite sure I managed to detach from Steve, when some subconscious vermin felt him getting too close! I tell myself this: "when I meet the "right" person, I won't travel so much and I will be less selfish about my life style and I will openly share my life with someone."

I SAY that, although
more and more, I am beginning to realize it may be a load of crap. I didn't dream about being an shriveled up raisin, an abstinent spinster aunt when I was a little girl, so I have to stay hopeful that He Who Has No Name (yet), will show up someday and I will WANT to tell my boss I simply can't travel as much, and I won't smoke crack for him anymore, working all night, and I will eat three squares and go to bed at a reasonable hour (and then pigs will fly outta my butt, and they all lived happily ever after)

Here's my list: does the other person make you feel good about yourself and your life's purpose, does the other person support you in your choices and help with the challenges? does the other person bring joy to your life? Izzat so much to ask for?

Life is short...spend it feeling good with people that make you laugh and feel good...not people who make you aggravated and sad...I must let go of K, is what this all boils down to...Although as Keats points out....I won't know delight, if i don't pass through some melancholy...and as the Office Depot commercial says, "I'm There."

11 comments:

JIMSIGHT said...

"We that are true lovers run into strange capers; but as all is mortal in nature, so is all nature in love mortal
in folly."

should be an easy one for you....

JIMSIGHT said...

I knew that would be a snap for you...sorry I didn't leave the poem up long enough...not sure why I am so paranoid, not like anyone is reading my blog but you and Charmaine..

JIMSIGHT said...

That was to easy....

Existence precedes and rules essence.

Hell is other people.

How about those

SSP said...

oh my.....I just read your post....i am at a loss for words right now....please let it up for a while and let me digest it some more!!

I am fairly sure Hell is other people is Sartre, from Huis Clos (no exit) L'enfer, c'est les autres. and the other SOUNDS like Sartre, but I am not familiar with it. perhaps it is time to brush up on my existentialism....

JIMSIGHT said...

As usual, you are correct on all points. Damn you really are smarty pants!!!! I have met my match as far as academia goes....or at least someone that weeps as I do.

Never really thought that would happen. Even with the multi lingual thing you have in your arsenal, never implied for a moment that you could come up with every quote nor that you could relate or even close to the true meaning behind the curve balls I keep throwing.

è molto gentile da parte tua

SSP said...

no, i just studied theatre in college, so I KNOW shakespeare, and I had to read No Exit AND Huis Clos (one was for french class), so I knew that one....and I just like the romantic era - the early 19th century blossoming of emotion...and of course that fits right in with my relationship to melancholy.

Keats is king of the poets... Beethoven, Chopin are the king musicians....However, I like the Expressionist era painters, Monet and Renoir and Degas are the king artists,

et j'aime bien parler avec toi aussi....il n'ya pas des hommes, non, il y a personne ice que penser des choses comme ca. Tout le monde se plaignent du gouvernment ou de temps, les maries, les enfants, le prix du gas. Il y a beaucoup d'autres choses importantes et idées interesssant dans le monde, mais il n'est pas facile de trouver les gens qui voulent, et peuvent, parler de ces idees!

SSP said...

I meant IMPRESSIONIST painters, not expressionist...don't know what i was typing...

JIMSIGHT said...

you left out talking about the weather?

SSP said...

huh? I don't "think" i left it out...here in tucson it is always the same, hot and blissfully dry, except in july and august when it is hot and horribly humid. But then now - march are lovely with cool nights and sometimes a lovely day in the 50s, and overcast instead of that incessantly blue, blindingly bright sky. I mean it isn't like there are daily variances to get all excited about like in NYC or Denver....so why did I leave out? :-)

Briana said...

You are right to be afraid of commitment. It's whacked! Forever is a long fricking time. I know that I wasn't really thinking forever when I got married. I'm not stupid. I was 27 and he asked. That's about it. That's what you are supposed to do. Then kids happen. And the next thing you know, commitment has found you.

And there's this dude on the other side of the bed that sometimes really pisses you off, and you can't think of anything WORSE than having to sleep in the same bed.

And then there's the lonely. Who ever said that marriage isn't lonely? My husband got up this morning, went to two other people's sons' football games, then came home and raked the yard. So basically, I didn't have a conversation with him until 4 p.m when he told me he was going to his parents for a Texas Hold Em tournament. You can definitely be in a marriage and still be lonely. Although I'll have to say, my kids can be great company!

Charmaine said...

Oh my Lord. Yes, smarty pants IS really smart. And funny. And thoughtful. And kind. Not to mention a beautiful writer.

I think we should have a triple date. Nothing weird. ha ha Just the three of us. I want to listen to you two speak french. Maybe I'll bring Briana too. Wouldn't that be WEIRD, WACKY and fun?

For the record, Chopin is my favorite romantic period composer. Then I veer left to believe that Matisse was the most interesting artist. He changed everything with his use of color. Seemingly simplistic (which is basically my favorite/desceptive theme in art) his collection "Jazz" (I think it was called) is amazing.

Further, I think I have a failure to commit problem as well. Some folks say that if you believe you have a problem commiting to men you will continue to find men you cannot commit to in order to support your assumption about yourself. Now that's scary.