Hadn't seen the bird in a while...figgered she flew off in shame for leaving her unborn babies like THAT, so imagine my surprise when I went outside to water my dead bush (I thought I better, since it hasn't rained since March and probably won't again til July), and as I start spraying the dead leaves (and a few surprisingly hardy and beautiful flowers! click on this photo at left to see what i mean - seriously, NO water in 2 months!!) the bush shook to life and a bird flew up at my face. I swatted madly, drenching myself in the process, and when I could breathe again, I noticed that little bitch had built ANOTHER damn nest on my patio...AND she had laid 2 eggs in it!
OK, the last time, she was relatively protected from the WILD in my window sill, behind the iron bars, but NOW she has precariously perched the HOME OF HER CHILDREN on the ledge of the patio. It is a mere 3 inches wide, and somehow, she has managed to build it INTO the bush....which when watered made her home shake like it was built on the San Andreas fault.
Look, I love nature as much as the next guy, but seriously, WTF? Darwin truly knew what he was talking about when he mentioned survival of the fittest. This bird is an idiot, but she does have a bullheaded stubborn streak and a desperate will to procreate, I will give her that much....Maybe that's why I never had children.....always searching too hard for a nice safe haven to HAVE them, and never finding it, have arrived at this great age with my nest barren...
Let's see what the next few days bring. I know there is also a bunny burrowed into my patio...Although I probably flooded him out today, too.... and I someone told me they saw a rattle snake in the courtyard....I bet they just LOVE little eggs.
5 comments:
You have such an exciting yard.
crack ho birds, dead bushes, rattle snakes and bunnies...no wonder I don't get any mail - the mail man is scared to set foot in there!!
Oooo, I want to see them born! I'm such a dork!
i dunno AG...the mama is a flighty little twerp - she may fly off today and forget where her babies are again.....but hopefully....hehehhe
Bunnies, birds and rattlesnakes oh my!
No, it's more like, OH SHIT! Especially when I got to the "rattlensnake" part! Yep, they love them some eggs, sunny side up!
Post a Comment