Liam (100 yards away) announced quite proudly, "I picked up poooop!"
As I sat on my picnic table after dinner, reading, I heard soft footsteps behind me. Looking over my shoulder, I saw a deer, walking towards my camp site, sniffing here and there. Motionless, I watched her walk in, and around my tent. I could hear people from other camp sites getting excited about a LIVE DEER!!!!! and the kids were shrieking and squealing, but I stayed still and just watched her continue towards my car and around it to a particularly succulent bush. I resisted the urge to get my camera out, as I didn't want to startle her. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see a little boy begin to approach, then his dad, grabbed him and held him back. The deer stopped grazing a few times and just looked at me.....and when she had had enough, she ambled through the Cry Baby camp. They were gone, so they missed it. I am sure she left Liam some fresh poop somewhere along the path.
There was a man sitting at the bus stop with a fancy camera....taking pictures of the stars, or trying to anyway, and wondering WHY he couldn't seem to get anything. I am not a photographer, but explained that his flash was useless, that his focus (despite being set to infinity) had nothing to focus on, and that the shutter wasn't staying open long enough for any star light to get in. I suggested a tripod, and a longer exposure....but then I think that is FILM photography. Can you slow the shutter speed, change the aperture and all that with a digital camera? In any event, I convinced them to go to the Star Party and look through the telescopes if they REALLY wanted to see the stars
There was a guy at the Ranger Talk who remembered when there was a swimming pool at Phantom Ranch....He swam in it back in the 60s. It has since been filled in, but it was kinda neat that he was back 40 years later....
Why did the Park feel it necessary to install a cell phone tour along the rim trail and bring free wifi to the cafeteria? I am sure people asked for it, and they complied.....The place was packed with people glued to their laptops. I just do NOT get it!?
No comments:
Post a Comment