13 August 2009

where you at, man?

i am in NYC...here for business but as always find some pleasure. I met up with two friends from high school, neither of whom I'd seen in a LONG while, and it was like we just saw each other yesterday! Also saw a pump pal - we have a standing lunch date when I am here in January every year, at the Barking Dog Cafe on 34th Street. It was fun to mix it up a bit, and see her in the summer. I saw The Bacchae in Central Park last night, and while I am a theatre professional, I don't think I am qualified to give much of a review....all I can say is, "you get what you pay for," and since the tickets were FREE, and the show is still in previews, I will reserve judgement, but I just hafta ask, if you are trying to convey a sense of HORROR, and you cover an actors hands and arms in blood, why oh why would you dress her in BLACK? why not white or cream, so the blood can really show to us losers in Row S? anyway...Seeing Mary Stuart tomorrow at the Broadhurst. This has always been one of my favorite Broadway houses. and I have heard nothing but good about this show, so here's to hoping for a good evening!

I am staying on the Upper West Side. My boss has a little studio apartment near Central Park West, and as he is away on vacation, he is letting me crash. He lives like a college student, so it's not the lap of luxury, but it is nice to have a place in a cool neighborhood to call home for a few days. He actually has a house out in the Jersey 'burbs with his partner, so this is really just his crash pad for when he is working. Here are some photos of the place. Lovely brick wall is crumbling and makes everything slightly dusty red. The A/C only really feels good when you are sitting down there - the loft, where the bed is, is always toasty warm.....and the ladder to get up there is QUITE the adventure for this old lady....I don't know how HE does it!

I was supposed to meet up with Michelle from Raw Cool tonight, but she is getting ready for a marathon and couldn't make it...bummer....I will look for you in January, chica!!

I was hoping for a nice falafel sandwich at my favorite place in the village - Ali Baba on Macdougal...but it is CLOSED for frickin' repairs...more likely, it was condemned, but damnation, I was aching for one!! They just don't taste the same in Tucson!

More later....

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

How cool that you're in NY! I haven't been in so long. Bummer on the falafel:(

Eric said...

Nice little place there, so if you had to choose Hawaii or New York...
Sorry to hear the free performance wasn't the best, I actually like the subject matter of that one.

SSP said...

@Nap warden - I am a lucky girl, but I am still sad about Ali baba....

@Eric - I adore Euripedes - i prefer him to sophocles and aescheles (sp) for a number of reasons, but i think the production missed something by being TOO presentational....that is just me - i am sure there were others who loved it...