19 August 2009

Diabetes

NYC, Aug. 6, 2009- In findings that add to the prospects of regenerating insulin-producing cells in people with type 1 diabetes, researchers in Europe, co-funded by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, have shown that insulin-producing beta cells can be derived from non-insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.

Maybe this is the decade? Maybe NOW is when they finally find that cure I've been praying, (yes ME, praying), for since I was 10! Friends and family, it's that time of year again - the kids are back in school, the leaves are turning (actually that is 'cuz it hasn't rained here in ages), and I ask you again to consider making a small donation to the JDRF.

As you know, I have Type 1, or juvenile diabetes. This devastating disease usually strikes preteens - I found out at a camp physical, tho, as my pal Robert can attest, it also hits grown adults! Why don't I just lose some weight, stay away from the ice cream, you ask. If I had Type 2 diabetes, that might help, however (lesson time), everyone is meant to make insulin in their body. It is the "key" that unlocks the sugars in the food we eat, so it can get into our cells and be used as energy. Type 2s make insulin, but either can't fully metabolize it, or they might not make enough. Diet, exercise, and sometimes pills, can help the body use its own insulin more efficiently.

Type I diabetics don't make ANY insulin at all. We have to put it in, or die. Since insulin is a protein, we can't take it as a pill (stomach acid woould destroy it), so we inject it. I have been putting insulin into my body for more than 3 decades now, and frankly, even tho I use a pump now, I am sick of poking holes in my body ON PURPOSE!

Look, if they cure diabetes, they resolve a HUGE portion of the national health crisis! The complications are the same for both diseases and that is what puts our health costs into the BILLIONS - kidney & heart disease, blindness, amputation, circulatory & digestive problems...ALL caused in large part, by DIABETES!

If for no other reason, do it for the children, like this sweet adorable child!

I personally can't afford a donation of $1,500, but I can tug heart strings and muster support and together we can raise $1,500! Maybe it's your $5 that helps end the fight? For the cost of a grande mocha latte or a pack of cigarette? Times are tough for all, and I am grateful for any support you can provide...and if not, I still love you, and hope you will still read my blog

Love, SSP

If you want to make a donation, let me know and I will send you the link to my walkathon page.....your help would be most appreciated!

5 comments:

KMcJoseph said...

I hope your right! That would be wonderful if they could cure this disease.

SweetPeaSurry said...

I hope you're right too, it does sound as if they're close to a breakthrough. Unfortunately if they come out with something in Europe it'll still take AGES for it to be approved in the US!

SSP said...

hey, they have been promising me a cure "in the next 20 years" for 36 years now. It's "just around the corner" and definitely within my lifetime, they say...and I HAVE to keep believing that. Here are my feelings on HOPE: http://ssprants.blogspot.com/2008/06/inspiration.html

JIMSIGHT said...

hey is that pic you.. so cute.. i have to catch up.. been on the move for almost a month again.. sheesh.. heading home tomorrow..

yeah wtf.. seems they should be able to do something more than expedite delivery methods.. my brother has, his developed mid fifties..

hope all is groovy.. talk at you soon..

SSP said...

nice to see you pool boy (sorry, and you know i mean it with love) have a safe trip and can't wait to hear about it :-) does your bro have type 1 or 2?? both suck, but just curious!