04 May 2011

My take on the death of Osama bin Laden

At an interfaith summit held in Chicago after the events of September 11th, religious leaders from around the world said:

"As we have since 9/11 and the beginning of the war on terrorism: we call for greater understanding; we seek to dispel ignorance; we ask that this be a time of humility not arrogance; and, we hope that all can be mindful of what we have lost." Reuters AlertNet - Muslim, Christian, Jewish Leaders Release Joint Peace Guidelines


I am happy, in my way, the OBL is dead, and now chumming the seas as shark bait, but I am not reveling in the street, and I truly wonder if those that DO, understand what his death represents, or if it is just a BOO YAH, in your face kind of arrogance, the kind of which makes the rest of the world hate us.??

I have chosen to live my life with TOLERANCE and DIVERSITY. Despite having watched the towers fall down out my BEDROOM WINDOW, I still believe that a better way to fight terrorism is NOT to go spread it around the world, but to face it here in our own country where our governments, churches, schools and media are literally terrorizing us into submission - telling us what to think, how to think and WHY we have these thoughts in the first place! Perhaps there are those of you among us who have not experienced the freedom of an original, unpopular, derisive thought....pity...they can be vastly liberating!

Perhaps if our leaders could figure out the answers to WHY those in other countries hate us so much, then perhaps we could FIX what is wrong here before we start telling the rest of the world how it ought to live! - I mean look at our farcical foreign policy just to start... we had no problem supporting and helping Afghanistan, including the Taliban, as long as they were fighting the Russians, but as soon as the Russians left, we tossed off Afghanistan, in the words of a friend, like a used condom! Go ahead, curse France all you want, it is NOT an original thought. People have hated the French for years for their snotty, anti-American attitudes which are perpetuated by the arrogant, rude American tourist, but the bottom line is that they are a free country and we are NOT the boss of them, and they are entitled to their opinions of our actions. Sure, we saved their ass twice, sure they provide arms to our enemies, but to expect, demand, require, loyalty? Puh- leeeeeeze.


But then, this IS America, the country where we blame our schools and those fags and Jews in Hollywood for our illiterate, drug dependent children, where we whine about gas prices as we drive our 4 wheel drive SUVs through the crowded, polluted downtown streets of our nation, where we think we can deny a woman the right to her own body and where a president who loses the popular vote can still be elected to president. God MUST really love America!!

 
Just what is so STUPID or naive or LIBERAL about being opposed to war and the ugly subversive tactics this country uses? What is
STUPID or naive or LIBERAL about being disturbed by what we saw happen in the middle east, in Darfur, in Libya, in  Tibet and more and more, and what about what is happening HERE, where the very idea of Free Speech is being challenged?

I am tired...I need a hole to hide in somewhere....

2 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

This is one of the best rants I have read in, well, forever. Good, good stuff.

Heartbreaking in many ways. But let's not give in or give up yet.

Peace :)

SSP said...

thanks IG - I originally wrote this back in n2003, when I was called UNAMERICAN by my own family when I said it was arrogant and wrong for us to be so jubilant in taking Baghdad...in fact i reposted the whole thing here in May of 08 when I was still deciding on a direction for this blog...I think it has stood the test of time, and I really do feel the same way NOW....and yes the whole thing is utterly heartbreaking...that we have to live like this; that the kind of legacy we are leaving your daughter and my nieces and nephews...will our generation; our leaders, be regarded with shame 100 years from now for the way we behave (as a whole)?