11 November 2010

In Memory of the Buffs

I was a freshman at CU back in the early 80s, then went back there for graduate school...but since then haven't been a real fan of college football....But NOW that CU will be part of the PAC 12 with a chance of seeing my boys here in Tucson, and it being so chilly here today, thought I would share a little ditty I wrote when I was going to school in Santa Barbara....

The biting chill of autumn days
Puts football in my veins.
Though far away and out of sight,
The memory remains.

We infiltrate the stadium
To cheer our padded boys.
A winning score is not our aim -
Just making lots of noise.

Drowning out the marching band,
The hot dogs and the beers.
The paper planes and making up
Of dirty obscene cheers.

Yelling at the referee,
The passing up of bodies,
Sipping spiked hot chocolate drinks -
Those minty flavored toddies.

The crunching of the shoulder pads,
The grunts and yellow flags,
Even though we never win,
Our ardor never lags.

We know the team will lose the game,
But still we love our Buffs,
Even though we rant and rave,
and call them "Powderpuffs".

But one rare time, we were surprised.
We won the victory crown.
Frenzied and ecstatic,
We tore a goal post down.

Though now the field is far away
And icy winds blow through,
The echo of our chant lives on -
"We love you, dear C.U."

1 comment:

Pseudo said...

Fun poem ; -)

Santa Barbara? My family is all in the Ventura County area with one half sister ins SB. I miss CA, but Hawaii is nice too.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.