28 July 2009

Family Reunion

Every year my crazy family gets together on the 4th of July. We have a big pool party at Aunt C's house, and all the third and fourth cousins splash and scream and eat. Used to be me and my first and second cousins who did the screaming and splashing...now it is everyone's kids, and it is so cool that my sister's kids KNOW my dad's first cousin's grand kids like they were their OWN first cousins! And there is always plenty of food! Lots and LOTS of food!

This year, we decided to make it a more official bit of a family reunion, and we had a couple extra cousins and neighbor kids hanging around, which was fine. I know it doesn't show in this photo, but I AM related to all the people here, despite my skin color!!

We
usually do a talent show and this year, rather than ask me to arrange something (since the last time I did, a few people ended up in tears), they threw together an impromptu "milk challenge." Let's just say it wasn't my family at their best, then again, maybe it was. The goal was to drink a gallon of milk in an hour...and keep it down....We had 4 competitors, and only 1 finished the milk, but they all lost it....and then Miss K decided to give it a try and she didn't make it either. That is here laying in the grass below - ahh to be 13 again!

The night ends on the roof where all the agile and nimble go to watch fireworks. This year, instead of using the ladder to get down, almost everyone elected to jump to the pool. I know my aunt's heart must do a couple of double flips when this happens, but I know she has insurance....Besides she was going to France the next day, so someone else was gonna have to do any 'splaining that needed doing.

I think the last guy broke up with me three years ago after attending this bash. All the druggies, ex-cons, tiddy dancers, interracial daters, single moms, hippies, un-employed ex and current cons...you name it, we have the gamut...we also have judges, lawyers, teachers, preachers, FBI guys and more....we put FUN in Dysfunctional, but we are an equal opportunity, diverse kind of a gang...Maybe we will see YOU there next year!!

The last photos is me, my dad, and his oldest buddy...I think it was this guy that gave me my first beer on my 3rd or 4th birthday? He is as much a part of my family as anyone.



4 comments:

Charmaine said...

Hey man, I'd marry into your family in a minute.

SSP said...

all the single men are under 18 charmaine, but otherwise id say COME ON!! you would be welcome :-)

Captain Dumbass said...

I have so many American friends now, why can't some of them live closer and invite me to their 4th of July parties?

SSP said...

captain, you are officially invited for 2010...same date, same place - be there or be canadian....